Nuestra historia

OUR HISTORY

Originally built in 1835 as a tannery manufacturing hatters’ leathers, it was transformed into a theater in 1931 as a try-out house for Broadway. The Playhouse went through several evolutions from a stop on the New England straw hat circuit of summer stock to now, as a non-profit professional theater that presents theater from April through November, in a state-of-the art building in the heart of Fairfield County. 

OUR BUILDING 

The beautiful and historic Playhouse campus is open for enjoyment and community events year-round. The value of the Westport Country Playhouse to all it touches is immeasurable. Originally built in 1835 as a tannery manufacturing hatters’ leathers, it became a steam-powered cider mill in 1880, later to be abandoned in the 1920s. Splendidly transformed into a theater in 1931, it initially served as a try-out house for Broadway transfers, evolving into an established stop on the New England straw hat circuit of summer stock theaters through the end of the 20th century.  Following a multi-million dollar renovation completed in 2005, the Playhouse became a state-of-the-art producing theater, preserving its original charm and character.

ESTAR EN EL SABER:
Unirse a la lista de correos
 Nunca compartiremos su información con nadie, lo prometemos.
es_MXSpanish
Copiar link